Postions Announcement - Posted on 3/27/2013
Position Announcement: Assistant Professor of Rangeland Resource Management
Organization: Department of Agricultural Sciences West Texas A&M and Texas A&M AgriLife Extension
Location: Canyon, TX
Description: Position Description:
The Department of Agricultural Sciences at West Texas A&M University and the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service are seeking an Assistant Professor of Range Science to develop an effective and productive teaching, research (60%) and extension program (40%) in the Texas High Plains. This full time (12 month) tenure track position at West Texas A&M University has been created to attract and support an outstanding faculty member with responsibilities in teaching/extension/research supportive of the rangeland industry in the Texas Panhandle and Great Plains. It is expected that this position will develop programs supporting the department and Texas A&M AgriLife Extension and the ranching/wildlife constituents in the areas of teaching, development and delivery of extension programs to the ranching/wildlife management community and applied research (rangeland resource/grassland management).
This is a 12 month tenure track appointment with the Extension responsibilities requiring some weekday, evening and weekend commitments in support of the agency’s duties at the county and state level. Funding will be provided to the position for a graduate student (M.S. or Ph.D. level) to assist in conducting research and delivering extension programs.
Supervision of this position will include annual evaluation conducted by the Department Head of Agricultural Sciences Department at West Texas A&M and the Department Head (or Associate Department Head) of Extension Ecosystem Sciences and Management Texas A&M University.
Responsibilities will include:
- Develop a regionally and nationally recognized teaching, extension and research program in rangeland ecology and management
- Deliver effective extension range management programs in the Texas High Plains
- Form collaborative and working relationships with County Extension Agents, and cow calf and wildlife habitat constituents
- Teaching duties include but are not limited to Introduction to Range Management, Soil Science, Grazing Ecology and Range Habitat Management
- Advise undergraduate students and actively participate in graduate student training
- Provide service to the department, college, university, and the profession of range science
- A Ph.D. degree in range science, range management, rangeland ecology and management, or a closely related discipline
- Understanding and ability to communicate with County Extension personnel, and the ranching/wildlife management community
- Research and outreach experience in rangeland ecology, grazing management
- Demonstrated ability to publish findings in form of extension publications and/or refereed scientific journals
- Evidence of teaching experience
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Experience in one or more of the following: rangeland/wildlife interactions, multi-species grazing, sustainable rangeland management, rangeland improvement and development, invasive plant species management, fire ecology,
- Willingness to develop collaborative field research and extension programs
- Ability to interact collegially with a diverse group of livestock/wildlife producers, students, staff, faculty, and administrators.
- Closing Date: May 1, 2013 or until suitable candidate is identified. Position is available August 2013, or until filled. Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Applicants should provide a letter of interest, official transcripts, resume, a statement of current and future research interests and arrange for at least three letters of reference to be sent to:
- Dean Hawkins, Search Committee Chair
- Department of Agricultural Sciences
- WTAMU Box 60998
- Canyon, TX 79016-0001
- Phone (806) 651-2550, Fax (806) 651-2938
- E-mail email@example.com
- Texas law requires that males, age 18 through 25, be registered w/Selective Service. AA/EOE.
|Print Page||Close Page||Return to Listings Page|